Established in 2009, P Threlfall Safeguarding Ltd is based near Preston in Lancashire. Phil Threlfall is a qualified Social Worker. He has developed a wealth of safeguarding and child protection expertise over the course of nearly thirty years, as a practitioner, manager, policy-maker, trainer and consultant, across a range of children’s and adult’s services.
As a former early years safeguarding consultant and local authority safeguarding lead who line managed LADO, School’s Safeguarding and Children Missing Education services, Phil has developed particular expertise around safeguarding in schools and colleges, including via Serious Case Reviews and independent investigations.
We continue to deliver safe, interactive training and support in line with COVID-19 guidance. We are also delivering really interactive training remotely via Zoom; please contact Phil directly to discuss your needs.
Whether it’s training, policy writing or auditing / reviewing safeguarding in a school or setting, we are interested in best practice. This means safer children and safer staff in safer organisations.
- Feel safe and are safe in different contexts
- Are the paramount consideration and at the heart of everything
- Are empowered
- Have a ‘voice’ and know how to get help
- Are educated and informed about what to do, not just what not to
- Are resilient
- Are knowledgeable, and up-to-date
- Are skilled, competent and confident
- Identify vulnerability and the need for help early
- Understand their roles and those of others
- Feel well supported and are well supported
- Know precisely what to do if they are worried
- Aim high and are governed effectively
- Nurture a safeguarding ethos and an ongoing culture of vigilance
- Understand that ‘it could happen here’
- Develop and are themselves capable guardians
- Deal proportionately with risk
- Make defensible decisions in children’s best interests
We can draw upon a depth and range of experience and expertise that is extensive and quite unique. This enables us to continue to deliver high quality services to and for a diverse range of agencies and professionals including:
- Early years providers
- Schools, colleges, multi-academy trusts (MATs), FE and HE Providers
- NHS trusts
- Women’s refuges
- Psychology services
- Residential services
- School governors
- Specialist therapeutic services
- District, borough and county councils
- Safeguarding Children Partnerships
- Language schools
- Local authority early help/family well-being services
- GRT services
- Fostering and adoption services
- Mosques and madrasahs
- Student and supply teachers
- Student nurses
- Health and social care students
- Ex-forces mentors
- Social workers
- Family support workers
- Apprenticeship providers
- Youth services
- Charitable organisations
We write and review safeguarding policies and procedures, deliver safeguarding training to governors, designated safeguarding leads, staff and volunteers. We also provide consultancy services and undertake bespoke pieces of safeguarding work with a wide variety of organisations across the north of England and beyond.
We have significant experience of helping people with a range of issues and processes including:
- Physical, sexual emotional abuse and neglect
- Child sexual exploitation
- Criminal exploitation
- Modern day slavery
- Domestic abuse
- Alcohol and substance misuse
- Honour based violence
- Safeguarding audits and reviews
- Adolescent safeguarding
- Radicalisation and extremism
- Mental health and well-being
- Self harm peer abuse and harmful sexual behaviour
- Developing robust governance
- Staff supervision
- Multi-agency working
- Attachments, developmental trauma and promoting resilience
- Online safety
- Safer working practice
- Managing allegations against staff
- Safeguarding adults
The list above isn’t exhaustive and we keep right up-to-date with the latest research, statutory and non statutory guidance in order to ensure that we are always best placed to support clients around new and emerging requirements and risks.
- One day training for new Designated Safeguarding Leads
- Refreshers and updates for existing DSLs
- More advanced training for SLT / key pastoral staff
- Safer recruitment (SCR Consortium accredited)
- Whole school / setting sessions
- Effective Safeguarding governance
- Shorter, compliance-focused reviews to ensure you are inspection-ready
- More comprehensive reviews with an emphasis on developing and embedding best practice
- Detailed reports, including links to up to date resources, guidance and procedures
- Clear recommendations about what to do next
- For DSLs, Heads and pastoral staff
- Based on over twenty five years experience of safeguarding supervision
- Underpinned by written agreements and supported by supervision records
- Consistent with statutory guidance and expectations
- Writing and reviewing safeguarding policies and procedures
- Independent investigations and reports
- Work with young people, parents and carers
Phil is always the most engaging trainer we have visit our site, he engages, educates and informs staff in a manner that makes safeguarding extremely relevant to whatever their particular roles might be. The feedback we receive following Phil’s courses are always positive with staff invariably asking if he can deliver more as soon as possible.
- Registered Manager, Children's Residential Services Provider
Phil has delivered a range of training at our college from new staff training through to upskilling our Senior Tutors with DSL level training. His sessions are always insightful, of the moment and are delivered in a very engaging manner.
- DSL, FE College
Exceptional. Clear, helpful, to the point yet detailed. Delivered in the most effective way.
- Chair of Governors and Head
Phil is an excellent, very well organised trainer who provides an insight into the ways in which health professionals can make a difference to the lives of adults and children. Thought provoking training.
- NHS Trust, Head of Safeguarding
Phil’s training is fantastic! He uses real examples and his formidable knowledge and expertise to engage and bring what is a complex and emotive topic to life. I would not have any other provider train my staff.
- Asst. Head, DSL / SENDCO & Designated Teacher, High School
Phil had previously conducted a most thorough and exacting review of safeguarding one of our academies and was the natural choice to review practice and provision in all our schools in the Trust. He is hugely experienced, knowledgeable and personable and is pragmatic and down to earth in his approach. As the leader of the Trust I have absolute confidence in his reports and in his judgement and would recommend him to any other school.
- Principal and Secondary MAT Leader
Phil’s delivery is outstanding, professional and inspiring – even the most hard to please staff are impressed with the training and comment on how useful and informative it has been – even, that they have enjoyed it. I have also used Phils’ safeguarding auditing service which was also excellent. The audit we had in November 2018, certainly laid the foundations for us to receive a comment in our very recent Ofsted inspection that ‘within safeguarding, no stone is left unturned’. I cannot recommend Phil highly enough.
- Primary Head Teacher
Phil has delivered our DSL training for some time now and our Safeguarding Leads have had supervision with him for over five years. Training is always engaging and right up to date with the latest developments; it has certainly stood us in good stead where inspection is concerned! Staff say that supervision is really helpful.
- Primary Head Teacher
Phil has provided mandatory Safeguarding sessions for our LA supply teachers and support staff CPD programme for a number of years. His breadth of knowledge, experience and character enables him to deliver engaging training sessions on what is regarded as a serious and sensitive topic. Feedback from our delegates is, and always has been, extremely positive. For this reason, Phil would always be my first choice safeguarding training provider.
- Local Authority Supply Teaching Co-Ordinator